Ch. 7 Nervous System
- List the general functions of the nervous
- Explain the structural and functional
classifications of the nervous system.
- Define central nervous system and peripheral
nervous system and list the major parts of each.
- Sate the function of neurons and neuroglia.
- Describe the general structure of a neuron and
name its important anatomical regions.
- Describe the composition of gray matter and
- List the two major functional properties of
- Classify neurons according to structure and
- List the types of general sensory receptors and
describe their functions.
- Describe the events that lead to the generation
of a nerve impulse and its conduction from one
neuron to another.
- Define reflex arc and list its elements.
- Identify and indicate the functions of the major
regions of the cerebral hemispheres, diencephalon,
brain stem, and cerebellum on a human brain model or
- Name the three meningeal layers and state their
- Discuss the formation and function of
cerebrospinal fluid and the blood-brain barrier.
- Compare the signs of a CVA with those of
Alzheimer's disease; of a contusion with those of a
- Define EEG and explain how it evaluates neural
- List two important functions of the spinal cord.
- Describe spinal cord structure.
- Describe the general structure of a nerve.
- Identify the cranial nerves by number and by
name, and list the major functions of each.
- Describe the origin and fiber composition of (a)
ventral and dorsal roots, (b) the spinal nerve
proper, and (c) ventral and dorsal rami.
- Discuss the distribution of the dorsal and
ventral rami of spinal nerves.
- Name the four major nerve plexuses, give the
major nerves of each, and describe their
- Identify the site of origin and explain the
function of the sympathetic and parasympathetic
divisions of the autonomic nervous system.
- Contrast the effect of the parasympathetic and
sympathetic divisions on the following organs:
heart, lungs, digestive system, blood vessels.
- List several factors that may have harmful
effects on brain development.
- Briefly describe the cause, signs, and
consequences of the following congenital disorders:
spina bifida, anencephaly, cerebral palsy.
- Explain the decline in brain size and weight
that occurs with age.
- Define senility and list some possible causes.