Ch. 8 Special Senses
- When provided with a model or diagram, identify
the accessory eye structures and list the functions
- Name the eye tunics and indicate the major
function of each.
- Explain how rod and cone functions differ.
- Describe image formation on the retina.
- Trace the pathway of light through the eye to
- Discuss the importance of an ophthalmoscopic
- Define the following terms: accommodation,
astigmatism, blind spot, cataract, emmetropia,
glaucoma, hyperopia, myopia, and refraction.
- Trace the visual pathway to the optic cortex.
- Discuss the importance of the pupillary and
- Identify the structures of the external, middle
and internal ear, and list the functions of each.
- Explain the function of the organ of Corti in
- Define sensorineural and conductive deafness and
list possible causes of each.
- Explain how one is able to localize the source
of a sound.
- Describe how the equilibrium organs help
- Describe the location, structure and function of
the olfactory and taste receptors.
- Name the four basic taste sensations and list
factors that modify the sense of taste.
- Describe changes that occur with age in the
special sense organs.